Map


View Headed South 2 (simple version) in a larger map

I'm headed from Montana to San Diego. Here's what's happening along the way.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In Mexico

After a relaxing week in San Diego and in the face of protests from most of my family I was dropped off at the San Ysidor crossing early in the morning by my uncle. Tijuana was a somewhat rough city to bike through with pot holed streets and questionable water running through the street. I eventually found my way out and made it onto the Carretera Peninsular (the road that goes from TJ to Cabo San Lucas). From there a friendly dude stopped and told me I could bike on the freeway. I tried that as I headed to Ensanada, but found the shoulder full of glass and a brutally deep rumble strip. I went back to the regular road and found the traffic levels tolerable. People were amazingly considerate when it came to passing me when there was oncoming traffic. Trucks especially were not willing to pass me when there was oncoming traffic. Often there was enough space for them to squeeze by, but they refused to do so. I was grateful.

I made it down to Ensanada, all the way under the protection of the marine layer, the clouds that move inland in the spring on the West coast. I had a great home stay with Tomas and Carmen in Ensanada through warmshowers.

The road moved away from the coast and soon had me weaving through cactus forests. I found people quite friendly. Many waved at me from there cars. However, the food was more expensive than I had anticipated. You couldn't really find any taco or soup or burrito or tamale for less than a dollar. I tried to eat at least a couple every day, but also bought tortillas with a can of refried beans to calorie load.

In Rosarito I stayed with Duffy, an expat. He cooked me some great food while we listened to Fox satellite radio and entertained me with stories from serving on submarines and in Saigon.

Five days into Mexico the marine layer took off, leaving me with all sun all day long. The cool air from the Pacific was replaced with warm air from the Gulf of Cortes. The enervating heat made biking a bit more difficult. It felt very hot, even though it was only in the low 90's.

I am now near Loreto with another wonderful Warmshower host, actually taking a rest day.

1 comment:

  1. Defer for a year at the U and I will come bike with you for a year! ONLY if we can volunteer in hospitals! I promise not to complain about the heat, warm cheese, or the rain :-)
    <3
    Me

    ReplyDelete